Walgreens circa 1970

The Walgreen drugstore at 236 E. Court St., held up on its opening day in 1934, was a downtown landmark until the early 1970s. This photo was taken in May 1970, shortly before it relocated. Adjoining the store were two other longtime downtown businesses, Lecour’s women’s clothing store, and Edward’s Jewelers. AT RIGHT: Two days after the murder of Joseph Gliatta, the Walgreen Co. offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer. This advertisement appeared on Page 4 of the Republican News on Dec. 26 edition.