Firefighters from Bradley and Bourbonnais wait outside the Menards store in Bradley Wednesday morning. Seven people were taken by ambulance to local hospitals after being irritated by fumes inside the store.

BRADLEY — At least seven people were taken to local hospitals after an unknown odor caused the evacuation of Menards on Wednesday.

According to Bradley Deputy Fire Chief Lavern Learned, employees and customers were complaining of eye irritation and coughing.

He said the seven people were treated and released.

Learned said investigators were unable to determine where the irritant originated or identify what it was.

A store official said the store reopened between 1 and 2 p.m.

Bradley Fire was dispatched at approximately 11:30 a.m. to the store, located in the 1200 block of Christine Drive.

A Hazmat adviser was called to the scene.

Between 40 and 50 employees were standing outside the building as first responders checked on people.

Customers continued to pull up in the parking lot, only to be told the store was closed.

Note: This story has been updated.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please be civil. Don't threaten others. Don't make obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist, sexist or otherwise demeaning statements. Be respectful of others even if you disagree with them.
Please be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Please be proactive. Report abusive posts.
Please share updates or more information. We value your input and opinion.