The 16th annual Lion Wreathing and City Tree Lighting in downtown Kankakee occurred Thursday at Kankakee Train Depot and Kankakee Public Library. Each year, two children's names are drawn to assist in the tradition, followed by a parade to the Kankakee Train Depot for the lighting of the city's Christmas tree.
The Kankakee Fire Department escorts Santa Claus to the celebration, which continues indoors at the depot with cookies and hot chocolate. Payton Morris, 11, and Max Cooke, 2, both of Kankakee, had their names drawn to help with the wreath tradition this year.
Tiffany has been a photojournalist with the DJ since 2014 & Photo Editor since 2018. She covers everything from daily news, sports and Lifestyles magazine shoots. A Herscher grad, Tiffany received her B.A. in Journalism at Southern Illinois University.
- Kankakee man arrested in connection to graffitied site
- New Kankakee art studio offers classes for all ages
- UDPATE: Man found dead inside house following fire in Kankakee
- Two men stabbed in Kankakee
- CHEERLEADING: Three teams advance to state
- McCuiston appointed as Riverside's chief medical officer
- Changes coming to BTPD? Park district may seek annexation of Perry Farm
- Local Author Spotlight: Momence mother-daughter duo create children's book
- FOOTBALL: Kankakee names former Illini player, Elk Grove coach Osei as head coach
- Jacklin sentenced to 18 years in sexual assault conviction