KANKAKEE — The man who was severely injured when a flashlight exploded in his mouth earlier this week has died.

Caleb Joyner, of Avon, Ind., was pronounced dead at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Presence St. Mary's Hospital, according to Kankakee County Coroner Bob Gessner.

The 36-year-old Joyner, who owns a remodeling and construction company, was an organ donor and several of his organs and tissue were harvested.

According to Gessner, Joyner stopped in the parking lot at Lowe's, 860 North Kinzie Ave., in Bradley, because something was wrong with his vehicle on Tuesday night.

Gessner said Joyner was looking under the hood and bent down for a closer look. He got close to the vehicle's battery and the flashlight exploded.

Police were performing CPR when when an EMS squad from Bourbonnais Fire Protection District arrived.

Editor's note: It was erroneously reported in Wednesday's Daily Journal the accident occurred in the parking lot of O'Reilly's Auto Parts, which is a quarter mile south of Lowe's.