KANKAKEE — Carmella S. Larson was convicted of aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol Friday for a May 2016 crash in which 15-year-old Kameron Allison, of Reddick, was killed on Illinois Route 17 at North 19000W Road.

The jury found the 36-year-old Larson guilty on four of the six counts of the indictment, two for causing the death of Allison and two for causing great bodily harm to his older brother, Kyuss Allison, who was driving them home to their mother’s house after spending the weekend with their dad. Both were students at Herscher High School.

They found Larson not guilty of causing great bodily injury to Nathan Lockhart, who was a passenger in her car the night of the crash on May 15, 2016.

Larson remains out on bail. Judge Ronald J. Gerts set the next court date for May 22, when he will hear post-trial motions. Larson faces up to 14 years in jail.

“I posted (on Facebook) about Kam’s death, and the last thing I wrote was that I will get justice for him. We got that today,” Trina Wesemann, the mother of Kameron and Kyuss, said.

“I think Kam would be happy today.”

The boys’ father, Jake Allison, said he was thankful for the state’s attorney’s office. State’s Attorney Jim Rowe and Assistant State’s Attorney Val Gunderson prosecuted the case.

“Jim (Rowe) and Val (Gunderson) worked very hard.

They tried this case like it was their own children,” Allison said. “They have a lot of compassion for what they do.”

Rowe said “justice was served for both Kam and Kyuss.

“It’s especially difficult when you have a young victim who died from someone else’s terrible choice,” Rowe said. “It’s the most preventable crime. This case is a harsh reality that you should never drink and drive.”

Larson’s public defender, Emile Capriotti, said he would be filing a motion for a new trial.

“We were hoping for a not guilty verdict,” he said. “We hope the judge finds extraordinary circumstances to sentence her to probation. She has a clear record. It was an unfortunate accident.”

According to testimony, Larson and Lockhart were at the Office Bar and Grill for four to five hours on May 15 where they each drank Bloody Mary’s, according to testimony.

The couple then traveled to East Brooklyn in Grundy County where they spent time at the home of Larson’s friend and a woman. They also went to Reco’s Tap and Grill located across the street from the friend’s house for drinks on two separate occasions.

Lockhart testified Larson drove them home because he drank more than she did. They were headed back to St. Anne where they lived.

A blood sample taken at Riverside Medical Center at approximately 11 p.m. where Larson was treated came back with an alcohol content of .186, according to testimony from the emergency room doctor who treated Larson.

An Illinois State Police Trooper requested blood and urine samples at 1 a.m. after he determined she was under the influence of alcohol. He testified she told him she had been drinking.

An ISP lab forensic scientist testified that BAC result came back .094. The legal limit is .08.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please be civil. Don't threaten others. Don't make obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist, sexist or otherwise demeaning statements. Be respectful of others even if you disagree with them.
Please be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Please be proactive. Report abusive posts.
Please share updates or more information. We value your input and opinion.